Saturday, February 12, 2005

Change in hard in Minnesota. Winters are long, and consistency is valued. Flash and glitz don't count. That's why it's a bit of a surprise to see the news today, that the Wolves replace head coach Flip Saunders with Kevin McHale. Saunders has been with the team more than a decade, and toiled in the CBA with Sioux Falls before that. To imagine Saunders anywhere outside Minnesota (and Sioux Falls, while in South Dakota, is basically Western Minnesota) is almost incomprehensible. But it's pro sports, so that's that.

Meanwhile, here's a change I dare say nearly every Minnesotan would love to see. Taylor hopes to hook Vikes. The Timberwolves owner is making a bid at ownership of the Vikings. I'd be more than happy if Red McCombs no longer owned the team. Fine with me.

Nearly as interesting to me, is how in the state of hockey, the newspaper of record has hardly a mention of the collapse of the NHL season. I have to admit, I like watching hockey. I really do. Even on TV. But at this point, I don't know that I care. I wish I could, but I don't. Sorry NHL.

No comments: