Saturday, March 31, 2007
How it works: Shuffle your iPod, mp3 player, or iTunes. Whatever. Shuffle through the first 25 songs. Take the first line of the song. As Jeff wrote, "No cheating and skipping embarrassing songs! List out the first lines of each song. Now, it’s up to you, the reader to guess the songs. How many can you figure out?"
I expect you to comment here, with the appropriate answers.
1. Where do we go? Nobody knows. I've gotta say I'm on my way down.
2. This is where the light starts to go backwards.
3. I was born long ago. I am the chosen I'm the one.
4. I keep trying to find a life, on my own, apart from you.
5. A lonely doll. She came again. Frozen wall. Like teenage skin
6. Am I alone in this? Never a night where I can sleep myself 'til day.
7. I can’t help my feelings; I’ll go out of my mind. These players come to get me ’Cause they’d like my behind.
8. I was just, thinking about you, thought I could call you, see if, I should tell you
9. Part of me. You are a part of me. I never want to lose.
10. What else should I say. Everyone is gay.
11. I walked into the room, and she was right there waiting. Leaning up against the bar,well she was perpetrating.
12. Well, I left Kentucky back in '49 And went to Detroit workin' on assembly line.
13. Today I watched the boats. Moving through the harbor.
14. You've got me feeling (song title) deeper than I've ever dreamed of.
15. The one (song title) In my life has gone away. I don't know why.
16. The world is a vampire.
17. Tough, you think you've got the stuff. You're telling me and anyone you're hard enough.
18. High, higher than the sun. You shoot me from a gun.
19. Toe to toe. Dancing very slow.
20. I was blinded by the devil. Born already ruined.
21. Take a step to what's real or at least to what it is I'm chasing.
22. She take my money, when I'm in need. Yeah she's a trifling friend indeed.
23. Now there's a backseat lover. That's always undercover.
24. You say you want diamonds on a ring of gold.
25. With music by our side. To break the color lines.
Saturday, March 24, 2007
Thursday, March 22, 2007
Today was the standoff. The stalker at the school came yesterday. The stabbing was Sunday. The victim will live. The shooting was a double homicide. Pretty nasty. Today's standoff is just a block from the shooting. Both are just two blocks from a middle school.
The stalker was looking for a high school student. It's a wonder they don't just lock the schools down as a preventative measure at this point. Sheesh.
Back to the murder. As of March, 2004 I'd covered 14 of them. The last killer at that point was Jayson Garrett. Since then, we can add: 15 year old Joey Stanford, killed in an argument over a shovel. Then there was a murder-suicide last spring. Now a double homicide this spring. So now I'm up to at least 17 murders, with more than 17 victims. No, I'm not a serial killer. Just a TV reporter. It's a little weird to think about. Sure gets the adrenaline pumping. But also adds to the stress. Let's hope this current Nebraska crime spree settles down quickly. Or it could be a long year.
Tuesday, March 20, 2007
I'm so excited! Mute Math is coming to Nebraska in a few weeks! W00t!!
If you haven't seen these guys, you owe it to yourself. I've seen them twice before. And I saw the band that the lead singer used to be in. These guys are on the cusp of something huge. It's electro-alt-rock, or something like that.
Thursday, March 15, 2007
Some of us are Irish year-round. Not that I was born there, or that I'm 100% Irish. I'm an American with a bit of Irish heritage. But I can identify with the Irish. And a trip to the emerald isle last year certainly didn't help.
But at any rate, one of my favorite stops was the Rock of Cashel. Tradition tells us that's where St. Patrick found the three leaves of a shamrock to explain the mystery of the trinity, the three-in-one.
If you would, follow this link to a picture of Cashel I took at night. It's quite striking at night.
Tuesday, March 13, 2007
Political pundits, and many of us in the media thought he was preparing to launch a presidential bid. We talked to him two weeks ago, and he confirmed he was considering a run.
So when a press release came out late last week telling us the Senator was making an announcement on his future, we all showed up.
CNN and Fox were there. It seems every TV camera in Nebraska was there too.
So what did Hagel announce? Only that he'll make an announcement later this year.
It's been called the announcement of an announcement.
Analysts call it bizarre, puzzling, disappointing. To say the least.
I'm so glad I got up at 5 in the morning to get ready to drive to Omaha to squeeze my camera in so I could hear an announcement about nothing.
Saturday, March 10, 2007
Here are the ones on the list I own: (14 in all)
5. U2 – JOSHUA TREE
10. NIRVANA – NEVERMIND
11. PEARL JAM – TEN
45. U2 – ACHTUNG BABY
55. LAURYN HILL – MISEDUCATION OF LAURYN HILL
57. 50 CENT – GET RICH OR DIE TRYIN’
65. COLDPLAY – RUSH OF BLOOD TO THE HEAD
73. REM – AUTOMATIC FOR THE PEOPLE
95. CREED – HUMAN CLAY
106. BECK – ODELAY
111. RADIOHEAD – O.K. COMPUTER
124. OASIS – WHAT’S THE STORY MORNING GLORY
159. BOYZ II MEN – COOLEYHIGHHARMONY
197. U2 – ALL THAT YOU CAN’T LEAVE BEHIND
These I don't own, but have greatest hits CDs for:
MICHAEL JACKSON, PRINCE, JOHNNY CASH, JANET JACKSON, NO DOUBT, SMASHING PUMPKINS, MADONNA, LL COOL J
And I'm probably missing a few.