Tuesday, February 20, 2007

NEW! Now caring 400% more for women than men!

OK, that's not my church's new slogan. But the reality of the budget ledger shows we do spend four times more on ministry stuff for women than men.

I'm not sure what that means.

Maybe the women are more organized and have more events. I know they had a big winter retreat this past weekend with food, guest speakers, music, etc. They schedule more events so need more money.

So maybe it's an indictment of the men, for not doing more formal activities. Although, men are surely well represented in our co-ed ministries.

Do churches know what to do with men? I'm not sure.

I'm not sure I know what to do with men at church. The Promise Keepers fad has subsided. We don't want big retreats at church. Our church has sponsored hunting trips for men, or trips to baseball games. The latter would be more my speed.

We talked about this at a small group at church the other day. Have men abdicated their place in the church? (And I mean Church in the universal sense, not just my local body). Or to some extent, is the church responsible for not engaging men?

More questions than answers, I know. But that's what I do.

No comments: