Saturday, June 23, 2007

Memorable Job Interview

I think I gave someone a story they'll remember the rest of their lives.

Friday, I had my first job interview. Well, it wasn't me being interviewed. I was the interviewer. It was the first time I'd been asked to help conduct one.

A U of MN grad was running late. Not her fault. She was late from the first part of the interview at the TV station.

While I was waiting for her to arrive, I heard three rural fire department dispatched to a house fire. We haven't had many structure fires lately, especially not one in the country with that many fire departments dispatched.

So I had the reporter candidate tag along on the way to the fire. We got to fly down a gravel road, searching for some obscure rural address.

When we arrived, a volunteer firefighter walked right up to me with a smile on his face. "I just want to let you know I really enjoy your news program. I watch you every night on the news. It's good to finally meet you!"

He went on to let us know he's a 37 year veteran of the local fire department.

Meanwhile, I was trying to conduct a job interview. And shoot video of the fire. And talk to a member of my 'fan club' as I call it.

The young reporter to be took it in stride. I hope she didn't ruin her shoes. But it's not a bad lesson to learn early that you can, and will go anywhere for news.

And, oh yeah, we offered her the job.

No comments: