Sunday, March 26, 2006

Survey time... feel free to repost...

1. of all the bands & artists in your collection, which one do you own the most albums by?

Two are neck and neck... U2 -- my favorite band of all time, and the Echoing Green -- my favorite indie band that I've been fortunate enough to enjoy for the last decade, and have even gotten to know them and promote shows and stuff. But there's no question I'm a huge U2 fan.

2. what was the last song you listened to?

U2 - With or Without You just popped up in iTunes

3. what's in your record player right now?

If that means CD player, then the answer would be Family Force 5, a CD I just picked up, but haven't had time to digest yet.

4. what's your favorite instrument?

I have two favorites to play -- drums and piano. There's not an instrument I don't like to listen to. I appreciate well played guitar, bass, cello, violin, turntables, keyboards, banjo, about anything.

5. what's your favorite local band?

Hennepin Ave. Some high school kids who just won a battle of the bands I judged last week.

6. what was the last show you attended?

U2 & Kanye West blowing it up in Omaha just before Christmas.

7. what was the greatest show you've ever been to?

- U2 & Kanye West in Omaha, Dec. '05
- Sixpence None the Richer with Sarah Masen in Minneapolis in '97 or so.
- Over the Rhine at Cornerstone in Illinois a few years ago (2003?), when they had this amazing multi-instrumentalist who produced this huge wall of sound to match the husband and wife duo at the core of the group
- Echoing Green, Five Iron Frenzy November '97 (I think?) my first time seeing EG and Five Iron guys later told me that was one of their best shows ever, and I'd have to agree.
- Other than that, I've seen so many shows, it's hard to even say at this point

8. what's the worst band you've ever seen in concert?

ApologetiX. Fortunately, I only saw a song or two.

9. what band do you love musically, but dislike the member(s) of?

Tough question. There are some bands that I just dig the sound of, but it's hard to get into lyrically. Or some that just seem like jerks, but that's hard.

10. what is the most musically involved you have ever been?

Does being thanked in liner notes for several CDs count? Well, I did play piano on a song that was recorded. I've booked and promoted a music festival. I'm a staff photographer for a music festival. For nearly a decade, I've been an online music critic. I've interviewed bands like P.O.D. and MxPx.

I've also played drums for some church worship stuff.

11. what show are you looking forward to?

Probably Cornerstone -- Violet Burning, Over the Rhine, etc.

12. what is your favorite band shirt?

Probably this old navy blue Sixpence shirt I got at a show (this was before Kiss Me was overplayed on the radio).

13. what musician would you like to hang out with for a day?

Duh, Bono. Who else would I say?

14. what musician would you like to be in love with you for a day?

Hmmm, Bono? That would be brotherly love, though.

15. what was your last musical "phase" before you wizened up?

I never really got into the emo thing, and only liked 2 ska bands. I'm still on the synth / electronica thing, but not like I once was.

16. sabbath or solo ozzy?

Ozzy? A guy who was on the Osbourne's TV show signed my cast when I broke my wrist :)

17. did you know that filling out this survey makes you a music geek?

Of course. I'm a music elitist, didn't you know ;)


18. what was the greatest decade for music?

The '80s maybe? This one hasn't been all bad. I'm not much into '60s or '70s stuff, and while there was some interesting music in the '90s, there was also a lot of dreck.

19. what is your favorite movie soundtrack?

Anything by John Williams

20. what would you be without music?

Not much, I don't think. Music encourages me to be better, ask hard questions, love, listen, and grow. It uplifts my spirit, grounds me, and gives voice to the yearnings of my heart I can't even find the words to express.

1 comment:

Stefan said...

its me again spamming your blog... sue me! :)
Just peculiar that you name Sixpence and U2 as your two bedst experiences in music. My cd-rag contain 35 U2 cds - and back in 99 when I was at cornerstone the maine attraction was....sixpence